Thursday, March 19, 2009

Jim Lounsbury: Early Record Hops


Popular Chicago Radio and TV personality, Jim Lounsbury in 1987, recalls the early days of record hops with "Willy and the Jeepers" in Chicago and the Midwest area. He talks about how we met, some of the places, Madura's Danceland and Keyman's Ballroom, where the hops were held, Poppel's Under 21 Club and how much we enjoyed those great days. There was something special about having a live band at a hop and the kids loved it. Jim helped me a lot with my singing career and we became good and long-time friends. Jim Lounsbury passed away January 8th, 2006 and I miss him very much.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tobin (if I may address you as such), my name is Bernard Koo and I live in Malaysia. I grew up in the Rock-n-Roll era and way back in 1962 your song "Susan" was played very frequently on our local radio shows. That song was one of my all-time favorites and over the years I tried hard to obtain a copy of it but to no avail. Ever since the advent of YouTube I continued the search for your song. I have to think that it is divine intervention that I have just discovered this blog of yours. I know it may be too much to ask of you, but is it possible for you to help me end my quest for "Susan" happily and successfully? If you could, my gratitude will be immense. (By the way, my sister also loves that song and shares my frustration in failing to find it anywhere online or offline.)

    At the risk of being perceived as presumptious, I am leaving my email address and it is: bernard.koo@gmail.com

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tobin--

    I was one of the teenagers in the audience at Madura's Danceland where Jimmy and the Jeepers were playing. I think I still have a 45 of "Ruby Duby Do"

    Bill

    ReplyDelete