Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ruth Buzzi

I moved to New York as Tobin Matthews in 1962 and arrived in Greenwich Village on Easter Sunday. My press agent, Bob Corcoran, had a friend, Rod Warren, who was having an Easter get-together at his home. Bob and I decided to attend. That was where I met Ruth Buzzi. We became instant friends and after a while, we began dating. We dated for about a year. Buzzi was a wonderful and caring person. I don't think I've ever had as much fun with one person. I was just starting out in New York and Buzzi had been there for a while. She was doing Off-Broadway and summer stock. She might not realize it but, she taught me a lot. We all lived in the Village during a special time. It was the age of the flower children, the Peace Movement and you guessed it, hippies. Buzzi and I have tried to keep in touch through the years, although lately I've lost track of her. Buzzi, if you see this, email or call me.
In the sub-ways of New York in the 60s, they had a monthly beauty contest. On the inside of the cars would be a poster with a picture and bio a beautiful girl titled "Meet Miss Sub-Ways". New Yorkers would then vote for the one they liked the best. This card is Buzzi's take-off on that contest. This is her famous Gladys Ormphby way before her fame on "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In".
This is a picture of Ruth Buzzi holding my daughter Holly and I am to the right holding my younger daughter Carrie.

No comments:

Post a Comment